Thats right readers... its time for another product review. This time I had that chance to get my hands on one of the Storage Containers from one of my small business brethren Burn In Designs. Lathan is a really cool guy to work with and damn does he ever know how to wield that laser of his.

Burn In Designs (like 2TS) is a small operation that really puts out over the top quality work. I ordered one of his storage containers that he debuted a month ago on his site. I only got one and they sell for just $15 each or 3 for $35. Either way its a really great deal.

The containers are cut from wood and there are pieces that he has done some engraving there there is some really cool texture to it. The model does come unpainted and unassembled and the best advice that I can give you (this is the same advice I got from Lathan) is get some 80 grit and 220 grit sand paper. Use the 220 grit to sand all the surfaces before you start to assemble the model. and then use the 80 grit to take some material off the the edges of some of the pieces on the ends... lasers only cut straight up and down... they don't cut a miter. You have to do this so that the edges fit tight together. I went so far as to actually round off the edges a little. Once you have the whole thing together prime it and hit it lightly with the 220 grit one more time... this will make painting the piece a whole lot easier.

To me the container has a very "Space Marine" look to it in as much as the sides remind me a little of the sides on the Rhino. So since I live with an Ultramarine player I decided to paint it blue... but being a storage container there is obviously no set way to paint it. I then went on to make it look very rusty around the edges... maybe I went a little heavy with the rust effect... but hey I was having fun sponge painting.

My Overall opinion of this piece is that it deserves 5 out of 5 for price, 4 out of 5 for degree of difficulty, and 5 out of 5 for cool factor and looks. I love this piece and I think with a few more of them sitting in a cluster they would make for some great terrain on any 40k board. So I am planning on ordering more of these in the future. I would suggest that you should too. So be sure to hit Lathan over at Burn In Designs up to order yours today.









1 Response so far.

  1. Thanks for the review. It is nice to see one finally painted. I will have to send you preview copies of some the new projects. Thanks again for the great review.

    Lathan Montgomery
    Torchmaster
    Burn In Designs

Post a Comment